Did FY1 at Basildon Hospital, part of North Central Deanery
1) Good one to do as an FY1 as generally I feel the staff are a little more open and friendly compared to some of the more specialised central hospitals.
2) I found that there is generally more scope for getting hands on experience with practical procedures. I feel that this puts you in good stead for FY2 when the standard expected is a little higher.
3) Basildon is its own little bubble miles away from proper civilisation, so there is a good community feel among the FY1's and makes the whole daunting experience of FY1 a whole lot more bearable and fun!
5) V V cheap rent compared to central!
1) Rubbish public transport. Need a car or a roommate who is generous with giving lifts! Otherwise you find yourselves splashing out on taxis quite a bit.
2) Hard to convince friends to make a trip out to deep dark Essex at the weekends, so expect to have to trek back into central London on a regular basis.