North Central Thames
Did you attend the North Central Thames Foundation School? We'd love you to share your experience.
Did FY1 at Basildon Hospital, part of North Central Deanery
1) Good one to do as an FY1 as generally I feel the staff are a little more open and friendly compared to some of the more specialised central hospitals.
2) I found that there is generally more scope for getting hands on experience with practical procedures. I feel that this puts you in good stead for FY2 when the standard expected is a little higher.
3) Basildon is its own little bubble miles away from proper civilisation, so there is a good community feel among the FY1's and makes the whole daunting experience of FY1 a whole lot more bearable and fun!
5) V V cheap rent compared to central!
1) Rubbish public transport. Need a car or a roommate who is generous with giving lifts! Otherwise you find yourselves splashing out on taxis quite a bit.
2) Hard to convince friends to make a trip out to deep dark Essex at the weekends, so expect to have to trek back into central London on a regular basis.